R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Why cant foams be run on asphalt with electric?
Old 11-17-2006, 04:53 AM
xray racer
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AngryAsian
But I do agree with one thing - foams give crazy good grip. On a "clean" track that's been prepared, rubber is the way to go. But on our outdoor dusty tracks, foam is much faster.
Might have to disagree with you there angryasian, foams are terrible in dusty conditions, rubbers leave them for dead when the track is dusty or damp. On a prepared surface, Foams are much faster from my experience. Sure rubbers can be AS fast after LOTS of work, but foams are just naturally fast and grip like you know what to a blanket.

Thats my findings anyway.

To all the US -racers debating about Foam tires, Here in Aus outdoor foam asphalt racing is much bigger than Rubber. We do have a number of people running rubbers, but i would say the majority, in NSW are running foams outdoor. Victoria is the bigger rubber racing scene i think would be fair to say Angryasian? maybe you can elaborate there.

The same simple rules apply to all aspects of racing, dont crash and you wont break anything. Now NOT crashing is hard to do, for most of us haha, so therefore it doesnt really matter what you run, if you crash you're going to break something or damage. In regards to chunking, if your car is set-up right and you dont clip things or crash... then you WONT chunk. On the other hand if you're taily everywhere and you slide around and clip things... yeh the tires will chunk! ... But, the same applies for rubber, if your set-up isnt perfect you will chew through a set of rubbers just as easily and render them 'practice' tires.

Just my input also!

Happy racing!

Robbie