R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Why cant foams be run on asphalt with electric?
Old 11-16-2006, 05:37 PM
AngryAsian
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm a supporter of rubber for the simple reason that that I just don't want to spend the $$ and time on foams!

In my experience, the foam tires take just as much work as rubber. Rubber at a club level isn't all that complicated. Down here we either run CS-27's (pretty much all the time..), or 32's if it's stinking hot. Medium inserts.

Chuck them on and them them till they start showing wear at the edge of the sidewall seam. Yeah - they get a bit slower... but that's the difference between a good espresso and the nasty service station version that I had before I got to the track.
Once they're done - give them to a stock racer! LoL!

Foams however chunk: (I'm not totally immune to crashing yet.. so this is a concern for me.), And you need a foam tire truer. Then you have to worry about putting a radius on the tire, and re-doing it to keep the runs consistent. Then re-trueing the tire so that your camber stays the same.
Add the complication of dual compounds and it's not that much different from rubber racing..

The end cost is roughly even for the foams and rubber, as you can re-use your inserts and rim in rubber. But for me at least, the foam adds another level of complication.

I don't race carpet so it's not like like I have any experience to draw on there.

But I do agree with one thing - foams give crazy good grip. On a "clean" track that's been prepared, rubber is the way to go. But on our outdoor dusty tracks, foam is much faster.

I quite like dealing with the dynamics of driving rubber though. Getting them up to temp, and the fact that they go away if you over-drive them.

just my 0.02