R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - RC Pro Series Finals - Rockford, IL
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2006, 04:03 PM
Jspeed
Tech Elite

TC & Jlo,

You’re correct, it’s important to listen.

Since the “Off-Road Championships”, we’ve learned many different things about running events in hi-profile public venues. This knowledge will be used in subsequent “Championship” events.

As far as Sport vs. Hobby is concerned, ask yourselves these questions:

Is hunting a sport or hobby?
Is stamp collecting a sport or hobby?
Is drag racing a sport or hobby?
Are model trains a sport or hobby?
Is no limit “Texas hold-em poker” a sport or hobby?
Are “eating” contests a sport or hobby?

Is a sport something that takes dedication, preparation, practice, skill and some luck?

Anyone can read a book and learn what stamps have more value, but do stamp collectors work on their collections and push their limits in order to beat the person next to them?

Can you develop the talent to control a train while it’s in flight over a quad jump?

If hunting is a considered a sport, does the “target” ever break your gun because you approached it wrong or the bullet landed on the wrong spot or angle.

You see, you can go on and on, the bottom line is a sport is something people do in competition with other people. While driving an RC car by your self is a hobby, racing against others with rules and regulations is a sport.

I think what confuses people about the entire sport vs. hobby concept is that RC racing might not athletic but at the same time, after an hour main, are you exhausted mentally. Is hand/eye coordination something that takes stamina?

If we want the “mainstream society” to take RC racing seriously, it must start with us; if not we’ll always be considered men & women that play with toys.

Don’t get me started with “Toys”
I have an LT-1 Vette in my garage that my dad calls a “Toy” too 

Jeff Vargas
RC Pro