R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - roar does it again...... "BRILLIANT" :(
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2006, 06:48 PM
tfrahm
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

In the interest of "fair and balanced" reporting...

Locally, almost all the racers still are running "old tech" NiMh cells. For the local racing scene, LiPo's would be a can of worms that could kill racing around here. Because of the weight difference, the two technologies are really not compatible. To be competitive, everyone would have to dump all their packs, dump their chargers (which don't handle LiPo's), and buy all new. The local economy won't support that... We would lose enough racers that the local track would probably close down.

Now -- Don't misunderstand me... I BELIEVE the technology will eventually win out... But there needs to be a PLAN behind this... Create a separate LiPo class? Make sure the weight ready to run is equal, etc... That takes some time to figure out...

Some locals are looking at LiPo, and almost every new charger bought will probably be one that can handle them, even if the racers are still running NiMh -- planning for the future we all know is coming. The trick is doing all this without doing more harm than good.

I think ROAR's actions are a bit extreme. I honestly think they would be better served by creating some venue for LiPo's to be added to the structure. The only way to create an intelligent way of merging the new technology into the hobby is by TRYING it out and developing structure to maintain a level playing field. They did this with Brushless motors and it eventually worked out fine...