R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Best Quality/Value Touring car?
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2003, 09:02 PM
patelladragger
Tech Master

Originally posted by Im2lazy
I thought that the MTX3 was still only offered with an MT-12?
I expected that Mugen would have offered the MTX3 with the MR12 right away... but they didn't.

I'm personally biased to Mugen, but I would also include the 705 alongside it as the top recommendation. However, the parts sitruation for Serpent has always been a bad deal. Sure the car is strong, but I think mugen parts support is top notch. It is possible that you might never need spare parts, and it is also possible that the serpent parts support has improved, in which case, your decision is much more difficult.

If the Mugen now comes with an MR12, then I would say you should get it. It has more mid range power (a couple of feet just past most corners) than any engine I have seen on my track. And its top speed is perfect for most American-style tracks. If it comes with the MT12 still, that engine is still faster than OS competition engines and the like.
Weighing in on the mtx3 kit w/engine for best all around kit for money. It has always been available with the mr12 since the kit was first released.

Kyosho RR is right there, but you'll be putting mtx3 parts on it to make it keep up with the mugens.

Serpent stuff may cost $$$ but it's not as durable IMO as kyosho and the parts are much more expensive.