R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Roasted brushes on my new Check Point motors
Old 11-06-2006, 05:38 PM
Thistle
Tech Addict

Default Roasted brushes on my new Check Point motors

I'm NOT bashing CP, but I would appreciate some gearing advice.
This past Sunday, was my first time using Checkpoint motors, and I've roasted the brushes in both of them...
In my Xray T2, I was running Fantom and Brood tuned Epic 19 turn spec motors. I should mention this is a medium sized track, and I'm running foam tires on carpet. I was geared 23/84 and 58mm tires, which gave me a roll-out of 29.35mm. These motors were coming off the track warm to the touch, but not burning hot.
This past Sunday, the CP's were coming off over 200 degrees F. I was using the same gearing, and 59mm tires which give a roll-out of 29.85mm. I even tried a 20 tooth pinion which gave a roll-out of 26mm. Now, I have to cut both comms, and replace the brushes. (Which here in Manitoba, are $14.00 a pair! ouch. )
The gear mesh was fine, there is no binding in the drive-train, and although the diffs seemed loose, I tightened them for one of the runs, and it didn't have any impact on the motor temps.
This motor was broken in using my Victor... which runs the motors for 3 minutes and varies the voltage from about 2 volts up to 5 volts and back again repeatedly.
Is it possible that the motors simply weren't broken in enough? Would this cause high temperatures?
Any input is appreciated.
Stuart.