R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Coast RC Track Racers, Porter Texas (Houston)
Old 11-02-2006, 04:24 PM
John Stranahan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Well here is my proposal for the electric guys. Lin and myself probably have the most experience running mod electric on this long track. This is what we found. You really need a new arm or motor every single race day if you run touring car. It's good to have 4 motors built or to rebuild the motor 4 times each race day. Now this is in warmer weather which we have an abundance of. This is fine, but is a little on the expensive side. There was a huge number of motor failures during our Charity race. The track is a bit long for a touring car even on the shortened course. The motors eat the comm and brushes and if you gear them lower they tend to throw a winding from excessive RPM. The brushless motors just thermal in the heat and are almost useless in a touring car (They run OK at less than 80F). For this reason I have been experimenting with 2 wheel drive. This reduces the strain on the motor increases the top speed and has adequate traction for exciting racing. I put 100 runs on a Novak 4.5R in the two wheel drive with only a bearing replacement. No thermaling. For these reasons I make the following proposal.

RC Lemans Series (Electric)
I will try to get an open mod 1/10 electric class started at our track. Any 1/10 body, any chassis, motor, battery; run at the same time as a Touring car class (19 turn maybe. Lynn had good luck with these) like a Lemans series race. 53 ounce maximum weight. Scored separately. I'll see if I get any takers on Saturday.

Sutable open mod cars
Any Touring Car
The following are 2WD
CRC Pantoura (200 mm)
Darkforce adjustable pan car 200mm upgradable to 235 mm
RC 10 L3T or L2 used.
MLP Indi Car (fully independent suspension single belt drive to rear wheels. you can probably run a pan body on these.

And really this is just a personal opinion I have no sway at the track.

Pics are of two wide pan bodies, Nissan 300Z GTU, Peugeot 905 B GTP, both are wide pan bodies that are now available.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	McAllister Nissan 300 z Pan Body 004 Resized.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	179538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Peugeot 905B Body Top View 002 Resized.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	179539  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 11-02-2006 at 04:51 PM.