R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - lipo and roar
Thread: lipo and roar
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2006, 02:50 PM
MrBlack
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SlowerOne
The two biggest distributors in the UK don't sell LiPo because of all the incidents in the flight market. I can't believe that your big distributors are unaware of the issues either. Put simply, NiMh uses inert materials, and LiPo uses active materials.
Our "big dist." are very aware of this however they are also intelligent and open minded enough to research the current product and not base judjement on past experiences with a level of technology much cheaper and less safe then what we are dealing with today. Saying today's Li-Po's are dengerous because of "li_?? cells from 5 years ago mistreated and or abused by the user is like saying Ni-MH are dengerous because if they tip over acid spills out.

LiPos are no exception, as their technology is already being made out of date by LiMn and other materials.
LiMn is not anything new and there is reason after all this time it is what it is.

Additionally, there are strong rumours of a 5v cell. This is the beginning, not the end.
They have technolgies that can make 5V cells now but simply making a certain voltage is not the only requirement.

Nitro is a big attraction in the UK - no coincidence that there are almost no new electric cars in the pipeline from the big manufacturers (except 18th scale) and Losi have gone into 8th Rallycross IC.
Just to clarify ALL the big manufacturers are releasing new electric cars many of the Japanese makers who have not made race grade off-road cars are now doing so for the electric market and there are new Electric TC coming from every single big manufacturer as we speak.

Also if safety is your cause I think Nitro is a hard client to defend.

I think there is truly a space for everyone's needs however the lines between racer and the hobbyist will soon be either spread far apart or merge, which way it goes and whether it helps or hinders this hobby are yet to be seen.