R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Will rubber carpet overtake Foam carpet in the future???
Old 10-20-2006, 01:59 PM
Kevin K
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fast-ho-cars
i recently have gone to a asphalt track that runs foam tires on 19T sedan class (no other electric sedan classes). beside tire wear, it is a blast and fast. the 19T cars with foams turn more laps than the nitro sedans. foams on electric?...reason why...well, i asked because some run both classes nitro & electric, and don't want to have to deal with different types of tires. they also don't use Jaco, TRC, Parma tires, that can be $14-$21. they all run the shore rated nitro tires they get for less than $9.00 a pair. my first race there with them i ran rubber and got my butt handed to me, showed the next time and ran foams....i handed it back
I just wanted to throw it in there that Foam tires on asphalt with a mod motor is freaking awesome. Faster then any nitro 200mm car and you can also give 1/8th scale cars a run for their money on a smaller layout. You can like you said get 9.00 a pair nitro foams that last a whole season at most tracks....where can you get a set of rubber tires to provide that much traction and last that long in the heat of the summer? At the same time Rubber tires on asphalt is fun and is more like real racing with some planning and strategy. Just like Rubber tires and Foam tires on carpet they both have their place and racers that want to race them.

Like Ray said racing on rubber tires has more of a real racing feel to it. But the people that are hardcore racers want to go fast and handle well so I don’t see rubber taking back the top drawing class at carpet races.

Like Ottoman said you race with the faster people so you yourself can get faster and that is right now foam tires on carpet here in the US.