R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Anyone roadrace motorcycles?
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2006, 11:55 AM
duckman996
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
Besides a little trail braking you have to do all your braking before a turn on a bike, with a car you can be fast braking into the turn...
Not completly true... in bike racing you want to keep your forks in compression so that you have the best turn-in (smallest rake) and most weight on your front tire. In most cases (tighter turns - not sweepers), you are trail-braking right to the apex and using smooth on-throttle power out. Letting off the brake too quickly - or too early unsettles the bike and takes away steering. Watch Valentino Rossi or Nicky Hayden in a turn, the back of their bikes almost leave the ground... and not just in the entry point - also right up to the apex.

As for the difference, yes, I do race my bike on the track and I have found that some of the principles apply - except braking. Imagine going through the turns the same as you do on your bike, except without braking unless its a really sharp (i.e. 90-deg) and you want to use brakes to keep speed right to the apex.

Entry speed, Turn-in, Apex, and Exit principles all apply. You can still break your turn into 4 points in RC - they just happen a heck of alot faster.