R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Mugen MTX-4
Thread: Mugen MTX-4
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2006, 07:58 PM
AMGRacer
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Racing4Evo
I think some people are taking the whole CoG thing to the extreme. I wonder if anybody on here has actually caculated and measured where the CoG of the car really is?.....I don't think anyone here has. Just because YOU can feel the difference doesn't mean there is. You need a larger test pool and even then it's not definitive although it can be taken with at least more relevance over just one person saying it's better.

On the subject of titanium pillow balls: These do more to lower the unsprung weight of the suspension than they with regards to CoG. The car's responsiveness has more to do with the suspension reacting faster to surface irregularities although I'm not saying it has nothing to do with the CoG. Example: You can move your arms up and down a lot faster than if they had 10lb. weights strapped to them.

Also, do you notice any handling differences when the fuel level changes? I wish I was that good. I certainly can't, and that's a big chunk of weight that is changing constantly, shifting back and forward, left and right. If I can't notice that, I HIGHLY doub't I'll notice a 10 gram difference.
You are probably right, but you also missed the overall point. If you want to bling your car fully to the hilt (presumably with Skyline products in your case) I certainly will never tell you not to. But if you race at a track where they weigh your car, you can't lighten the car that much and you are better off taking the weight off the rotating mass and suspension before installing a lipo pack etc. See Keisuki's winning car for an example. If you want bling then knock yourself out!