View Single Post
Old 10-17-2006, 03:00 PM   #317
vtl1180ny
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stranahan
I think the answer has more to do with the actual speed the car will reach. If the weight is toward the rear you will have more forward traction as the rear wheels have more load. Good for a short track. If the car is reaching 50 to 60 mph you will start to have instability with too much weight in the back. The car will tend to become airborne on the bumps if there are any on the straight. A more even weight loading might be desirable. I have recently added a little weight to the front of my wide car even though it has inline, but very light, battery pack.

Given the same weight front to back on two cars one that is wide and one that is narrow I would center the weight on the wide car to have it turn faster. Weight on the perimeter of the narrow car would slow its spin rate and make it more drivable on a loose track. On a high traction track I would keep the weight centered on both cars. This is based on driving both the narrow and the wide car and noting the differnece in high speed stability and spin rate on the two on both low and high traction surfaces.

I would still avoid saddle pack cars so that I could run LiPo's eventually with it. Lipo's do perform much better in the car in spite of my problems with them.
I'm going to agree and disagree....

at 50-60 MPH you are now relying on downforce to keep the front down. IMO keeping the static weight over the rear wheels to get you traction and then rely on downforce to keep you planted is a much better route with a pan car. Think about the cars we are modeling, most are Mid and Rear engine cars, the fronts are very light in comparison.