R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - ROAR 2006 'Open' Fuel Nationals Cincinnati, OH
Old 10-09-2006, 11:15 PM
fraz
Tech Addict

Anticipating the horn is very much a part of the game in this sport. I have reviewed the video a bunch and will not comment on jumped starts**. what I will comment on is what I feel was the root cause of the problem... bad car set downs. I have been doing this long enough to know you don't set the car down at darn near a 90 degree angle perpendicular to the track and I saw a few cars that had to make a hard left turn right after they got on the gas. This is just asking for trouble.

Granted I have not been to this track and if the painted [read:implied] starting boxes are at a drastic angle like that, the person who did so should be questioned as to why. I don't believe we spec it out in ROAR but IMO pit starting boxes should be at no more than a 45 degree angle to the track. Also, having so many cars in a main where some have to start "around the corner" is plain stupid. Mike Queller, why was this allowed?

**One of the reasons I cannot comment on the "jumped starts" is the slo-mo replay has omitted the sound. When you say "horn sounds", what part of the horn; beginning, middle, end? That tone itself is close to a second long and your mark could be anywhere for all we know.