R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Does drinking a lot of Coffee affect you as a driver
Old 10-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Ernie P.
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by duckman996
Interesting perspective Ernie - however, when dealing with peer-reviewed, gold standard medical research, the possibilities of skewed results is as close to impossible as you can get. With relation to overuse of caffeine, there is well documented research showing that overuse (over 250 mg in a short period of time) can lead to caffeine intoxication, with symptoms including: restlessness, nervousness, excitement, insomnia, muscle twitching, a rambling flow of thought and speech, irregular or rapid heart beat, and psychomotor agitation. Not fear-mongering … fact.

For those that are drinking several multiple cups a day (30-40 as you have mentioned) their adrenals are already so shot that I feel bad for them when dire need sets in and prescription medication does not work for them… again, not fear-mongering, FACT!

You speak of the common sense filter, back in the 60’s / 70’s, it was believed that (through common sense, mind-you) that second-hand smoke does not harm anyone … science has shown that to be different. Common sense is usually based on learnings that have been acquired through the knowledge available to you – and being able to make your judgment accordingly. I agree, CNN can lead to false awareness of the truth around you – however, when dealing with sound research (through true science) showing that OVERUSE of caffeine can lead to some serious health concerns, we should stand-up and take notice.

Contradictions of science… or is it new information made available so that consumers can make more educated choices. Again – with all due respect, I doubt you are reading the latest issues of JAMA so what you are exposed to is what the media chooses as the “topic of the day” (supporting your CNN theory). I can see your point regarding “old news” and the media’s choice to exploit it’s viewers / listeners / readers … however, no-one is stopping consumers from completing their own research (google is a beautiful thing).

I agree – if something bothers you, don’t do it … and stress does cause some serious damage … but I also believe that we (the public) should educate ourselves as to why something causes the actions or reactions that they do and make our decisions based on education.
Well; the original question was "Does drinking a lot of Coffee affect you as a driver"? My answer is "It depends upon you, and you individual reaction to caffeine. Different things affect different people differently. Use you common sense; and don't let yourself be stampeded into believing a lot of BS. If it bothers you, don't do it. If it doesn't; have a ball". So far, I see no reason to modify that position.

You said "With relation to overuse of caffeine, there is well documented research showing that overuse (over 250 mg in a short period of time) can lead to caffeine intoxication, with symptoms including: restlessness, nervousness, excitement, insomnia, muscle twitching, a rambling flow of thought and speech, irregular or rapid heart beat, and psychomotor agitation. Not fear-mongering … fact". To me, the key disclaimer in your statement is "can lead to". That means "It may happen. And then again, it may not". If this was an exact science, you wouldn't have to add "can lead to". You'd be saying "Will lead to".

Your belief that "when dealing with peer-reviewed, gold standard medical research, the possibilities of skewed results is as close to impossible as you can get" flies in the face of one simple fact: The results are interpreted by human beings. Those human beings aren't always totally objective. As I said, the past is replete with examples of bad science. DDT; Saccharine: Licorice; Predictions of a new ice age; and the list goes on.

Every other week, there's a new study that (when interpreted) predicts dire consequences for the human race. But, somehow, we struggle along. And we will continue to do so. Having said that, I think I'll go have a cup of coffee; light up a cigarette; kick back and relax for a few minutes; and offer a toast to my Uncle Red. Red drank coffee all day long; smoked heavily; hit the bottle hard; and it finally killed him... at age 97. And just for the record, Red went out the way we all say we're going to go. And it scared the heck out of the lady he was with.

Don't get too wrapped up in this stuff. Take a deep breath; relax; and stay calm. It's going to be okay. (-: Thanks; Ernie P.