R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Losi 8ight building and setup
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2006, 08:46 PM
Bivens
Tech Addict

Default Great Car...

Just got home from racing my new 8ight.....

This car is amazing. It does everything you want a car to do....only better than you've had from anything before. I realized that this care was great during the first tank.

The brakes are incredible, the corner speed that you can carry is amazing, the accelleration is incredible. I had no idea that the rolling chassis had so much of an impact on the acceleration and top speed. I was the only 8ight there tonight and I pulled 3 holeshots out of 3 starts, simply by pulling the trigger. I am used to a ProSpec MBX-5 with a strong JP B-8 Mod, and normally have more power than many people, but the difference that this car made to that same engine package was amazing. It was noticably quicker on acceleration. Also on braking. This car is a winner all around.

I had a great night since I was the only one with one of these cars at our local track tonight. It was nice knowing that I had an advantage. I hadn't driven a car since June 17th, and was rusty behind the wheel, but this car made up for my lack of skills and I was able to outrun my good friend by relying on the car to make up time on acceleration and braking as well as mid-corner speed. It was nice to realize that I didn't have to push my "rusty" skills to a higher level to go fast....simply make up time with the car as a tool, rather than my skills generating the result. I could tell that my friend had to push his car hard to keep up and it seemed that I had him covered. With my Prospec MBX-5, I seldom thought my car out-handled his....but this Losi was clearly superior.

The car is very forgiving but incredibly crisp and precise. It is VERY responsive, but in control. One notable difference was how responsive the car is in the air to input from throttle/brake and also steering. It was easy to bring it down in control from any attitude, but at first it was somewhat difficult to predict. For example, the brakes are FANTASTIC...but this means that it is very sensitve in the air if you are used to another car with normal brakes. Using the ABS on my radio helped tone it down some.

Overall, my take on this car is that it drives like a 4WD electric Mod Buggy, with smoke and noise, and durability.

I did manage to break a shock end in the main but otherwise the car was untouched. Fabulous job Team Losi. This makes racing a lot of fun. It reminds me of something like a nitro touring sedan or 1/12 scale carpet car....very crisp and precise handling.

By the way, I used the out-of-the box kit setup, only changing the rear roll bar to the thinnest available. I also raised the front ride height slightly and lowered the rear slightly (1mm each) to tone it down some...and it still had better steering than I've ever had before.

Last edited by Bivens; 10-07-2006 at 08:56 PM.