R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Wrenching for consistency...?
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2006, 09:41 AM
seaball
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
make setup changes to my car but it doesn't require me to almost rebuild my car.
well, it depends on who's in the pictures. some of these guys cars are so bad at the big races, that they don't tweak the setup, they start from scratch every round. it's not a good practice to get into.

additionally, alot of factory guys are testing new parts, some of which are integral to the build. new arms that require new blocks and pin mounts, that kind of stuff. that's not overly common, but sometimes you have to do it a a big race where traction unduplicatable at a club race.

between rounds the best cars probably don't get touched. rotate or put new tires on the car, check tweak, that's it. if it came off driving perfect, it should go back out perfect. prep your car before a big race, and you should not need to do much maintenance during, provided you're not walling it every round.

i took this philosophy a little too far last year. i wouldn't ever rebuild my car, unless i needed to to change something (toe, spur, etc), replacing bearings only when that part of the car was apart. half of the time, my drive train wouldn't spin, but the chassis was dialed! i'll be more dilligent with rebuilds between the big races this year.