R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Does R/C racing really belong on TV?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2006, 04:41 PM
SWTour
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've never seen the "Inside R/C" program on THE OUTDOOR CHANNEL, however they came and filmed our 2 day Velodrome race this past July. (We're hoping it will air the end of Oct, or early Nov.)

Something I've thought was that if somebody does decide to try a R/C TV program with more racing is to only highlight a single class for each particular show. (For instance, SNOWBIRDS, cover the highlights of MOD TOURING qualifying and show a good portion of the mains with a split screen voice over interview with the race winner and maybe one or two others of the drivers helping to a play by play watching the race on a video screen.

If you figure a normal 30 minute t.v. program only actually has about 18-22 minutes of show time I think that type of format would work best.

A race like 'the birds' that has 8 - 10 classes could actually be the subject of several shows. If a single episode coule have at least 2 different events, something like that could be cool too.

A r/c show I saw years ago showing offroad racing in Japan, each racer was on the drivers stand in the order they qualified for the main. Left to Right and wore a vest or chest cover w/ their car number on it. This show used a split screen so you could see the drivers in action and see the cars. I don't speak or understand Japanese so I have no clue what they were saying, but it was pretty cool the way it was edited.

Another thing..either Don't focus on SPEEDCHANNEL (or if you do, look at air times when then now have "Paid Programming"), but there are several other 'cable' channels out there. OLN, Outdoor Channel, A&E, G4, and MORE.

Will R/C gain new racers from shows like this? Probably not, but it would be one more way to gain exposure. That coupled with "Grass Roots" types of racing that put R/C Racing back in Public places where it can be seen would help too.