R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Does R/C racing really belong on TV?
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2006, 02:40 PM
Rick Hohwart
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Motor City Hami
Rick Howart is one of the guys whom I respect the most in R/C racing. You alway have good thoughts.

Not just a question for Rick... for everyone. If I fronted $100,000, hired a camera crew and a production crew, worked a deal with Speed Channel for the time or worked with AOL to secure a high profile place on their site, would I be able to make my money back? By the way, buying a half hour on Speed Channel is way into the six figures, so covering cost to be on TV would be pretty high.

If I were to format a show, it would focus on the technology, personalities, size of the industry, profile a hobby shop and manufacturer, showcase the online community and show slowed down clips of racing. Then, maybe... maybe end it with a 5 minute main event from a large race?
I don't know the numbers, but I am pretty sure the cost of a 30 minute segment on Speed is less than that. But a quick call to their programming department would probably give exact costs. Sure it might not be prime time, but in the age of Tivo, who cares? And Speed has about 3 months of racing off season that they would surelylike to fill with original programming. Who knows, if they like the concept they may even produce it.

But all the technology spots and showcases would be paid fro by the comapny getting the exposure. I don't know if you can make money. All the costs associated with doing so (production crew, purcahsed time, etc.) are available if you ask. It would be pretty simple to investigate the feasibility.