R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated TC5
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2006, 06:17 PM
Kevin Boyle
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Carbuncle
Not famling but...

Why? Exactly what does lowering the top deck do? The top deck on most cars weigh less than 7g (1/4 oz) so don't tell me it lowers the CG of the car. Lowering the motor 1mm has a bigger effect on the CG of the car than than lowering the top deck 10mm...or even taking the top deck off .

Structurally low top decks are less stiff and require thicker, heavier, more expensive chasis to get the stiffness back. Ever wonder why the Corally guys run a 4mm chassis on foam tires...now you know. Ever wonder why an Xray FK 05 with 2.5mm chassis is stiffer than an RDX? The FK 05 had a high top deck.

Low top decks also limit height of the layshaft and the size spur you can run. A Cyclone can run a 110 max, a T2 118 max, an RDX 118, 415MSX 108, etc. Brushless motors are getting more popular and require much lower gear ratios than brush motors. On small tracks you need to run in the 12 to 10:1 range. 10:1 is about the best you can do in any of the above cars. To get close to 11:1 you have to break out a Dremel too ...12:1 forget it.

Low top decks are all about fashion not engineering. I applaude AE for designing a race car not a blinged out bench queen.

One last point...how many times has Barry and his new low top deck mee too car finished ahead of Rick Hohwart and his AE proto (Which I heard is Barry's old car) ...the score is Rick 3, Barry 0.
Carbuncle,

Thanks for the insight on the cars very interesting. I am sure the AE car will be sweet when it comes out.

Later
Kevin Boyle