R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya Direct Drive Touring Car
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2006, 03:08 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrBlack
This further proves part of my theory, that what was one of the best things about TC was the realistic looking cars. THis is now all but done now with the current "NASCAR car of tomorrow" looking body shells. The cars get less realistic > less people find them intresting > less new drivers to replace the one's that move on > TC dies. Yes it is really that simple.

The insane cost of an aluminum/graphite wonder bot along with all the gadgets to get your Batteriesnd motors just right do not help either.
I woul hav to agree with that statement as well. I got into TC along with Tamiya back in th days of the TA02 because of the look of the cars. Now, Protoform releases all of these bodies that look the same to me just with different stickers. I prefer a Tamiya Mobil Lexus, Arta NSX, or F430 over protoform any day.

The current costs are killing me as well. You spend $100 for power supply, $60 per battery, $150 charger, $50-$75 discharge, $100 motor lathe, $100 motor dyno, $50 per motor and all of this is before you buy the $400 car that comes with NOTHING to make it run. You are talking about putting the same amount of money into r/c for a season that it takes to go karting.

For example, I had a short take me out this Saturday at Tamiya and it blew my servo, esc, and battery. In 5 min, it was a $400 loss.

I am starting to think of running the F103s and TamTech frogs from now on. The fun is much higher and costs lower.