R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2006, 02:53 PM
odpurple
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SlowerOne
With great respect to my good friend Mark, you don't need to do this at all. Ceramic balls are not as good as steel balls for diffs - they give less grip on the rings, so needing more load on the outer bearing. This is a lot of work for little reward.

Just follow the Diff King (Dave Irrgang) and you will have the best diff you can lay your hands on quickly, and easily .

T-Cut is a mild abrasive used to take the bloom (dull finish) off paintwork before polishing and sealing. The nearest equivalent I found for the USA is Turtle Wax Liquid Rubbing Compound - but better to spend $7.50 on a bulk-bag of IRS steel diff balls (100!) and follow Dave's free instructions - the mutts nuts! (That's colloquial English for very good!!) HTH
I feel that I get a smoother diff with ceramic balls. A ceramic ball diff is harder to get the initial adjustment right with, but once set can last a long time. I have at times gone several races on a diff on dirty asphalt tracks and the diff just stays smooth. As for breaking in a diff with abrasive, I don't like the idea, I can't say it doesn't work because I've never tried it and I won't.