R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Check this out!
Thread: Check this out!
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2006, 08:19 AM
santinuchi
Tech Adept

Default Check this out!

Steve MacLean of the Canadian Space Agency told Mission Control on Wednesday that he was removing a cover on a crucial rotary joint when one of the four bolts he needed disappeared.

"I did not see it go," MacLean said. "I'm looking to see if anything is floating."

Space debris can be dangerous if it punctures space station walls or spacesuits and can jam crucial mechanisms. However, spacewalkers have a long history of losing things in space. In July, Discovery spacewalkers lost a 14-inch spatula that floated away.

There was no indication that the latest missing bolt went into the rotary joint or any other space station mechanisms, and the assumption is it floated away, NASA spokesman Grey Hautaluoma said. He said that the astronauts simply used three bolts for the task instead of four, and that there shouldn't be a problem with that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are they freakin serious!!!!! We can't even expect that a screw left off of one of our cars during a build or repair to not affect it's performance.....someone tell me.....what the hell is wrong here!!!!???