R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - what happems when brushless takes over?
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2006, 10:55 PM
AdrianM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Adrian…. If roar has it all figured out for 07 please enlighten me. Since it does take a considerable amount of time and money to develop a motor I am certainly interested in what the rules are going to be.

The Mod rules are in place. As far as Stock and Spec mod classes no one knows. BL technology it too new for anyone to say exactly what the rules should be. If we do that now and get it wrong we will be doing a lot of damage that would need to get fixed. Its better to let racers run club races this year and figure out for them selves what they want to do. Mixed or separate classes, is a 13.5 the right BL 27T equivalent, What is a BL 19T equvalent...a 10.5, 9.5 or 8.5? We dont know and we wont know until we run these motor on carpet, asphalt in the winter and in the heat of summer.

If you are asking about what the motor construction should be for these lower power motors I would say they are all baased on the mod teardowns. The onlylinit would be the winds.

It is going to be challenging to figure out how to do it and take some time and cooperation to accomplish it. It would be suicide for sanctioned racing, which relies heavily on sponsor money, to have only one choice available. It would be horrible for the consumer to allow us to continually put out faster versions of motors within the minimal rules. It is also suicide to ignore it and think it will just work out on its own.

I agree. But we need to know what the rules will be limiting before we make the rules. This all falls into a logical progression

Considering your primary market is racers I would think you of all people would be interested in protecting racing rather than backing a technology just because it is easy. That is not good business. Good business is not always about good technology although I am all about letting it, forcing it, to advance.

I totally agree with that

Again Tekin is all about brushless! Brushless is awesome technology and here to stay regardless of what the sanctioning bodies decide. But we at Tekin are also all about racing and I still say brushed motors have a place. If we are going to have spec classes of racing with truly equal motors then any advantages brushless has …except it is easy… is meaningless. These are controlled speed classes that both technologies are capable of.

Brushed motors do not need to be faster, they need to last longer and take less maintenance to survive. Better technology would allow the same performance with less power, which would increase brush and comm life. It is not up to anyone but the brushed motor companies to decide if they want to make that investment and I doubt it would take $250K to give it a shot if the rules were reconsidered.

Brushed already has a powerful advantage for beginners… Cost. While in the long run brushless is cheaper for the serious racers, it is a lot more expensive to start with and compatibility is not universal. That contradicts the whole purpose of an affordable stock class and not everyone can afford multiple systems.

A year ago I called the motor companies and proposed changing the 27T motor rules to get us a motor that lasted longer, ran cooler, etc. I met with universal resistance from all but one company. They all said why mess with themost popular class in the US? I gave up.

I posted a thread dedicated to the manufacturers with a vested interest to discuss how to deal with this. Without cooperation there are no choices, no racing and no chance little Joey can ever get started with his small pile of lawnmower money. Good business is leaving the door open for everyone and not making rash decisions without considering all the factors involved.

Well said. I hope this happen in the future. In the past cooperation is in short supply...lol!

Tekin Prez[/QUOTE]