R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2006, 12:48 AM
maxepower
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Red face SPRING-TIME!

Originally Posted by P956LH
I run my TA05 on tight a parking lot track, and I can't seem to get it to have enough off-power steering. I'm running std suspension (4deg caster blocks), the stock front knuckle setting (whichever one gave the higher axle height, and "back" ackermann position), and TRF dampers-2 hole piston-40wt oil, AE gold spring front and AE blue on the back. Front downtravel is "5" on the AE droop gauge, and rear downtravel is "4" on the AE droop gauge. Roll center positions and wheelbase are as per the kit setup.

Which one will make a greater increase in steering: switching the front knuckles round (lower front axle height) or moving the outer (front knuckle) ackermann position forward? Or is there something really wrong with my setup and/or I should try and change something else before changing these?
I see what your proablem is, your running AE springs instead of Tamiya springs.
It's like running Ford parts on a chevy! It just won't work!
Seriously, unless your running carpet or indoor asphalt with very hight traction, the AE springs have way too much pressure.
The most spring pressure I ran on asphalt is the white but this was high grip track,usually run yellow or blue with medium to low traction These are Tamiya springs!
Not sure about the blue? Aren't the AE golds in the 20 lb. range?
Lighter springs will probably solve your problem!
Just my2$
(Tamiya spring pressures):

Purple 22.72
Gray 20.91
White Short 17.54
Silver 16.13
Blue Short 15.69
White 15.27
Blue 14.08
Yellow Short 13.99
Yellow 13.33
Red Short 12.35
Red 11.86

Last edited by maxepower; 09-08-2006 at 01:10 AM.