R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 2007-2008 ROAR Presidency
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2006, 11:22 PM
fraz
Tech Addict

Good start Carl and I agree with Matt that the industry is forgiving. I have seen this business change a lot over 30 years and many things come and go but no matter how screwed up ROAR has been at times, it's still here. That means it's still repairable. Cam makes a good point too and the bottom line is ROAR is a non-profit organization so make sure everything you want to do is legit within the law.

The one thing that caught my eye was about Regional requirements for National events. It sounds great on paper and we have all talked about it before ad nauseum but there are issues in doing so. The main one is you will really start reducing the car count if you make this a requirement and we have been seeing reductions of late as things currently stand. I am not sure how this can be done right. My gut instinct is that the combination of an ill economy, soaring inflation, and the cost of racing at a higher level has become high enough to make many people choose only 1 big event per year. Forcing this issue may make these races lean more towards those with factory support and that IMO would hurt the sport. When was the last time you got a calculator and added up the cost of all your 1/8 scale motors (inc. paperweights)? You start to get the idea, eh?

Now that I started rambling there is one thing that I would like to see from ROAR. Make a true distinction between SPORT and HOBBY. Many of the previous ROAR discussions over the years start off by talking about cost control and how this and that relate to the "hobby". Since you are a fellow 1/8 scale racer and 1/10 electric racer you have seen first hand that cost control is nonsense and we should trat R/C racing as what it has become... a sport. True it's somewhat of a semantic distinction but it would help potential new members to understand any value proposition.

BTW Matt, we still have a tenative tee time... you pick a place and time and give me a holler!