R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Factory Driver Salaries
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2006, 09:51 AM
robk
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I think you and i are on the same page with this. I just have a problem with the "rc cars don't make any money" line. Of course they do. Rc car RACING is the thing that doesn't make money.

I have also heard the "for every 1 gadzillion kits/rtrs/whatever sold, 1 makes it to the track" ad infinitum. It may be true. I doubt any real numbers are attached to it. I assume it's anecdotal evidence based on how many cars show up at the track vs. what the shop sells.

The reason you don't have a lot of racers is simple. There is a lot of effort required, and success is not instant. You can go play video games, and be awesome almost instantly if you have talent. You can take that same talent, and it will take you 2 years to be fast with rc.

Compounding this is there is no real way to bring people up from the start. I'm not even sure what way this should be accomplished, but whatever is going on now doesn't really work.

Also, I think that rc guys (racers or not) would be well disposed to a show with hardcore rc racing, of whatever type. A lot of people who own MX bikes to play with love watching MX racing. Doesn't mean they will ever be on a track. I'm not sure why you would have to be a serious racer to watch racing on tv. I think if you like rc, you would probably watch it. At least as much as you would watch cup stacking