R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - anyone here mix thier own fuel?
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2006, 07:01 AM
MBlackketter
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by joemugen
if you can find pressed castor oil, it is the best. it is actually the seeds put on a large press and the oil is then filtered to get rid of the residue seeds and bottled. i blended my own fuel once with 8% pressed castor oil and it ran great. hope this helps. also, you may be aware of this but since it sounds like this is your first time i will just make some rookie comments, make your fuel in set volumes. what i mean is either one gallon or one liter, that way you know the exact quantities to put in. also, the most imortant of all, make sure that you limit the exposure of the nitro and methanal to air. they suck in the humidity in the air, thus adding water to them. so you want to open and close them as little as possible and close the caps asap. it is even beneficial to bottle your fuel in liters instead of gallons. think about it, a gallon of fuel is open and closed many times before it is finally used, thus exposing it to air many times. a liter in turn, since its a much smaller quantity, is opened and closed less, thus exposing it to air less. this is more critical in areas of high humidity.
Easy Joe! Don't tell them everything you know.