R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - how to fix a dented pipe
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2006, 04:04 AM
brc358
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Repair a dented pipe

The freeze method does work, but if you have a pipe that is really bad, and you want to spend some time on it, this works also.
A friend of mine had a couple of pipes that were just laying around because they were caved in so bad, so I thought I would try a couple of different ways on reapiring them.
A couple of the pipes were the 9886 on-road pipes which are the same one I use.
Anyway, the were dented real bad next to the stingers.
I removed the stingers from the pipes, and used a heat gun and a right angle pick to pull the dent out. Two of the pipes were dented more than 1/2 of the way in. After pulling out the dent, I replaced the stinger, with JB weld, and also made a gusset for the stinger to prevent caving it in again. After the JB weld cured, I used a Dremmel and shaped the gusset. I then changed the sanding disc on the Dremmel to the small wire wheel disc and roughed up the aluminum. I wiped down the complete pipe with denatured alcohol, and then painted the pipe with engine high temp paint.
Next day tried out the pipe, and it works great. Did not lose any power what so ever. Total time, about 1 1/2 hours. Would make great projects on rainy days if you have a couple of damaged pipes, and want to kill some time. I am still using one of the same pipes that were repaired, and that was over 6 months ago.