R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Mugen MTX-4
Thread: Mugen MTX-4
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2006, 12:03 PM
Corse-R
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ElectricConvert
Thanks Doc.

I'm going to have a closer look at those shoes and housing clearance.

I cannot deal with a loose clutch, we have decent traction here and on some days, we even spray VHT on the track, it would be a shame if we don't make the most of it. I can understand if you have a slippery track. I'm even thinking of putting on a JP Clutch spring (world type ) 93519 on the MTX. That's ultra hard!

I wonder if the shoes were not disengaging from the housing quick enough such that when I back off the throtle for a moment and hit it again, the car could've be taking off in 2nd gear. Is this a possibility?
If you want a great clutch for high grip conditions, try this recipe (Is what I use on my MRX4 and MTX4). JP Aluminium clutch bell, Mugen Red shoe and H0774 (ultra-stiff type) or the Hard ones (stock silver spring on MTX/MRX).

Red shoe is somewhat expensive, but tried it and liked so much, now on my toolbox there are 5 spare shoes (beware, the red shoe is expensive and if you not adjust the clutch well you can convert it in dust on few minutes).

Seen some time ago, people still want to have a big gap on their 2 speed shoes just to have a more violent 2nd gear engaging, 99.9% of those people stripped 2nd gears (the other 0.01% is about to...). I put more than 40 litres of fuel thru my car (still have the 3mm stock chassis) and haven't stripped a 2nd gear.

What I'm doing for not stripping? Easy: adjust the shoes very close to the endbell (the gap on my second gear is about 15/100 of a milimeter - measured with a feeler gauge). And of course, a correct meshing (remove the 1st gear just to mesh the 2nd and then reinstall the 1st gear spur).