R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Reliable Temp Gun
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2006, 01:36 PM
DS Motorsport
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Corse-R
A safe temp range? under what kind of assumption? each engine responds different to carb adjustment and handles different the temps, one engine at 130ºC could be giving the ghost and the same model, still have some margin... what kind of margin?

The only one will tell you how's running your engine is how sounds on the track, the smoke and of course, how idles entering for a refuel. This is why give you real data, not a crude temperature number that doesn't means nothing.

One crude example: Two engines of the same manufacturer (Sirio), the same model (.12 STi). One bough in April and the other bought at the end of July. The one bought in April loves to go at 150ºC and runs strong and idles great. The other, anything over 140ºC is hurting the performance.

All two runs strong. But they want different temps, which one should I trust? the one who likes to go at 150 or the 140ºC one? Tunning by temp as a rule carved in stone is a sillyness and somewhat stupid. Know your engine and forget the temp.
Your completly right.
First i was always looking at my temp gun how hot the engine was and never listened or watch the engine go.
At the start of the season it didn't worked anymore, but i couldn't be bothered to buy a new one.
I started to watch and listen to my engine's. The perfomence has never been this great, everything is way more balanced and is able to idle an entire tank.

All the top driver's here never use a temp gun, they just watch and listen.