R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Easiest way to remove the flywheel from nitro engine?
Old 08-14-2006, 12:09 AM
KK-racing
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Well, I learnt the easiest new way yesterday at our track.

There was this buddy running an O.S. V-spec in his MBX5 for about 2 races already, not to count the 6 ~7 weekends of practices in between. Then suddenly his engine keeps shutting off after landing from jumps for no apparent reason. A check showed the flywheel has kind of moved back & sticks itself to the engine front bearing with aluminium burr around it. Everyone started crowding around straining their necks to get a better view when he starts dismantling the clutch-bell, shoes & flywheel to see what causes that. Out comes the clutch-bell retaining screw, next the bell & then the shoes.

Finally the flywheel locking nut was taken out &........ he literally just lifted the flywheel out without any effort, not to mention any tools. Then people start guessing - 'the conical bushing got smashed to bits', 'no, no, it was worn off to thin air'. Then our smart buddy, blushing all red open his tools box & took out the conical bushing....'I forgot to put it in' !. Now isn't this the easiest method to remove the flywheel ?. Joke(the incident is true though) aside, I used the tapping method with a aluminium rod behind the flywheel, for years without any problem.