R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - *SOCAL raceway* offroad thread
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2006, 11:18 AM
Frank Root
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

[QUOTE=SoCalLosiRacer]If raising racing costs and reducing racebucks is what it takes to keep SoCal open, then so be it...
What I'd love to see SoCal do with any extra profit, though, is advertise. I can remember when we'd get 10+ heats of onroad racing on a Saturday night. Things have fallen off considerable, and SoCal has made no efforts that I have seen to draw in new racers. I think SoCal should try to work something out with the Hobby People down the street and Ultimate Hobbies... perhaps a free race entry with every electric kit sold, or even just leave some flyers at the counter. Heck, maybe they could even work something out with the Jack in the Box in the parking lot or Chipotle across the street or something.
I heard, though, that a radio station is coming to SoCal to promote Jim and Lana's skateboarding dog. Hopefully that'll stir up a little more interest.QUOTE]

The best advertising is very simple. Have the track be good. There are sooo many racers in the SoCal area that don't race there because the track is bumpy, or the onroad is not hooked up sometimes. Or the prices are high... how about how hot it is in there sometimes, like an oven...

All the little things will bring the wayward sheep back to the flock.

If I ran SoCal Things I would try to improve on:

A/C - Turn it on earlier and more often to make the track more comfortable.

Lighting - Turn the lights on earlier and more often, especially on the tracks.

Off-Road layouts - New layouts every 2 weeks during these hot summer months, the clay dries out too fast. Winter, we can go 3-4 weeks, no problem.

On-Road - Have the track vacuumed more often and aid the track's traction level when necessary.

Restrooms - Keep them clean/stocked. The paper towel dispenser is empty/not working more than not. Half the time, there is no soap. The Big boy urinal has been out of order for several months. The door on the Handicap stall cannot be locked.

Parts Inventory - Keep and inventory order system. I.e. When you sell a Shock Tower, order a new one. Current system, oh, shoot, we are out, I guess I should probably order some to be in in a few days...
Also, when the CR parts came out, several parts shops had parts almost 2 weeks before SoCal got them in. When I asked if they had got anything in, I was asked for a manual so they could get the part numbers. Just an FYI, the part numbers were all available on Horizon's website (THE COMPANY THEY ORDER FROM) a few WEEKS prior to when the parts were shipped, which was a week before the kit/manual. Within 10 minutes time, all the part numbers could have been looked up and ordered.

Customer Service - Lets just say the person that works at the count most often favors certain people in a certain age group and since I am not one of them, I don't always get fair/decent service.

Fees - I think $15 to race is alot. I can come to terms with it though. I think $3 to use a house transponder is rediculous. It's like "Oh hey, you don't have a $100 for a personal, well give me $3 everytime you come then." I would rather see it as, maybe a $1 or $2 discount for having a Personal. The thing that kills it is the $10 practice fee. This is for practice. $10! You are already there breaking parts, wearing tires/motors/batteries, I think $10 is excessive. I have never paid more than $10 to RACE at any track other than SoCal.

Racer's Discount - At several hobby stores/tracks I have raced at, Racers have been given a Discount on some items, usually tires. It isn't much and won't make the store lose money, rather make it more. The discount is usually like 10% on tires and wheels on a race day if you are racing. I know it would make me alot more inclined to get tires at SoCal. I want to support my LHS. I want to have a place to race. But, I cannot afford to throw money away either when I know I can save money on tires buying them in other places.

The Best advertising is Good Word of Mouth..