R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Magic G4
Thread: Team Magic G4
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2006, 07:50 AM
razzor
Tech Elite

We made our debut with the G4s at the 4th round of the South African Nationals this weekend.
All 3 of us running the G4s had some gremlins at some time or other.
Driver Scott Maclure finished 3rd in A mains with a very hard and fast race.
I qualified in C mains 2nd position.
Gary McDonough qualified B mains 9 position.

Unfortunate for me I had radio interference problems in the first 2 qualifying heats ,which got sorted and I placed a good run in the 3rd heat to qualify me 23rd overall.
4th heat was awesome as we tweaked the clutch and car was really good ,managed to get a 1 lap lead on the field but it was not to be ,my throttle servo jammed intermittently at full throttle and cost me the race.Judging from my pace I would have qualified in the high B mains
In my final again car was fantastic and I had a good race with 2 competitors close behind ,after first 2 fuel stops I managed to get ahead by a lap and a half.
18 minutes into the 30 minute final with a considerable lead I had a flame out for fuel.
My pitmen were doing there best to get me started and back into circulation but couldn't get engine started ,thinking engine was too lean they richened my mixtures and soon found out the actual problem had been that the glow plug came loose.
That was my race and I finished 7th in the C mains.

Scott had good qualifying runs but we found he's engine to be quite thirsty with him just making the 5 minute heats.
We did have issues with brake fade with our cars and I had this sorted by replacing with Kfactory pads.
Scott also had a hassle with the brake pulley stripping but fortunately not in he's fast heat.replaced brake pulley as well with Kfactory item.
He managed to qualify 5th in the A mains.

Gary got of to a slow start with handling issues ,but got car sorted after getting set-up advice from Scott.
He managed to qualify 19th overall which is good as he hadn't really driven the car before.
Unfortunately he had some problems in the mains and had to change a damaged fuel tank but managed to resume racing.

Overall the G4s made an impression with a 3rd place finish on its first big event and us learning about what works and what does not work.
Have to say thanks to all that contribute to this thread and Darren for tips.
Now I just need to sort out my Palmaris PR 12 ,I ran a NovaRossi with Palamaris BRB piston and sleeve set ,and it ran well.