R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TRF415
Thread: Tamiya TRF415
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2006, 07:51 AM
TryHard
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HarshGuy
Are you saying use these short arms both in front and in back?
Yup.
Originally Posted by Cruisaaja
Hey

Sorry, i`m newbie about Tamiya. I did`t get it? How you adjust suspension blocks or add more shims to get same track width ?

Are you sure, do i only change those LWT arms front and rear... no swing shafts at all?
Basically, the theory goes that the short arms were introduced to stop people using the cyclone suspension (which seemed to work well) on the rug. These arms are very close to the hinge pin distance of the cyclone arms.... I know, caused I've measured both with verniers.
As there is only a small difference over the standard lenght LWT arms (~1 - 1.5mm) they don't need a change in swing shaft.

Is it easier to change wider hexacons also?

My point is to get my car leagal after that carpet modification
Track width change. Two methods to change it.
1) Axle shims
2) Suspension blocks

1) this is the easiest one to do, simply add shims to the outside of the hex hub. Personally I don't like doing this, as it reduces the amount of hex hub in contact with the wheel... and on some of the pre-gules we have to use over here, that means a very small amount of plastic transmitting the power.
The other method you can use under this is changing the hex hub itself, I know tamiya sell some 6mm width (std MSX is 5mm) ones, and the original 415 came with 4mm wide.

2) Slighty more complex to change using suspension blocks. Basically, the blocks do two things, change toe, and change track width.
As I'm sure you realise there are a large number of blocks avaliable, each of these is a slightly different width. They range, from widest to narrowest,
E, D, C, B, A, X, XA, XB, XC, XD
there is 0.5° toe difference between each block, now the clever bit is, you can have the same toe in setting, but vary the track width.
For example, on the rear you could run XD/A or X/E in. Both give 2.5° toe-in, however the XD/A combination will result in a much narrower track width.

playing around with track width is a fairly useful tool, on the rear it can help the car to rotate much faster, on the front provides more steering. Downside is it can make the car quite unstable, and tricky to drive.

For the short arms, you can probably go as wide as possible without fear of being over width. I'm using X/E on my Evo5, with the short arms, and 0.5mm on the axles, and it's on the limit width wise.

HiH
Ed