R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Platinum Lipo
Thread: Platinum Lipo
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2006, 01:38 PM
HVAC25000
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Lipos replacing sub-cs, what a far out idea...

How many of you thought NiMH would replace NiCd? I can walk into any one of my 5 LHSs and buy NiCd sub-cs. I see so many people panicking because they're afraid Lipos are going to replace their precious NiMHs. It's not going to happen anytime soon because Lipos are so much more dangerous. Just like NiMH hasn't replaced NiCd because of the cost. There's always a reason

I went to one of my LHSs the other day and asked about the team orion lipos. The guy explained to me that cheaper packs, especially ones used in cellphones and the ones sold by cheapbatterypacks.com, have a soft membrane in between each cell (the cells inside the cell) which heats up and distorts when too many amps are drawn and then the 2 cells bridge and you have a fire. The team orion packs have something much more durable (I forget what he said it was made of) that isn't affected by the heat and can't distort. That's what seperates the team orion cell from the competition. I'm still pissed at orion for not making a saddle pack, though.