R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - what brushless sytem to get??????
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2006, 04:22 AM
MadMikeB
Tech Adept

Howdy,

I can't comment on your 1/12th, but I have some observations which may be of interest regarding your 2wd off-road. I am currently running a Novak GTB/Velociti 5.5 combo in my T4. I've had it about 8 months. For anything other than a very large track it is simply too much motor. At our home track I can only make full throttle generally in only two or three places on the track, for a total of probably a couple of seconds per lap. On a tight layout with low traction, it is so hard to get the power down I sometimes can't even lose the stock guys :-(

I knew the 5.5 would be over the top, but I'm not real serious about my truck racing, so I went for the overkill/fun option. If I was fair dinkum, I would go for the 6.5 (max) or probably the 7.5 for a truck. For a buggy, the 7.5 I think would be absolute tops. As a comparison, I am often racing close to another T4 guy with a 12x2 cobalt, and I can totally roast him on the straight unless I make a mistake on the entry corner.

Problems? The cooling fan blades all snapped off in no time at all. I ran for a month without a fan, then mounted a AE fan on the chassis next to the GTB. If your buggy is a B4, then I can advise that the GTB won't fit under most shells unless you remove the fan. My experience is that the system is totally fine without the fan at all, and you can simply pull it off.

I can't comment first hand, but I would be very surprised if the fan were required with 4 cells in a 1/12th.

In the the T4 I can easily do 8 - 10 minutes runtime on the track with good 3800's.

Personally I love my GTB/Velo so far.

HTH
MIKE

Originally Posted by crusty
Hi guys i want to get a brushless setup but dont really know what i should do. I run 1/12th and 2wd off-road. Heard the gtb might not clear under the 1/12th scales body.
But anyway here the choices- LRP sheare ,Novak GTB, the new Mamba, or wait till the brushless tekin arrives.
Any help on what i should go with would be great
thanks chris