R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Career in RC
Thread: Career in RC
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2006, 07:39 AM
IMPACTPLAYR
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

A couple of things to remember......

-Are there alot of jobs around here that people have extra money to spend on hobbies?

not being smart, but generally..... Poorer people will spend alot on the hobby to the point that they aren't paying bills anymore or paying them late and then when they realize how badly off they are they sell the stuff off cheap..... all the while kicking and screaming that the hobby is too expensive, that's not the worst part.... they tell everyone they know how "overly expensive" they hobby is..... also remember where people make more money property costs are higher....

-How much does property cost around here?

Renting or leaseing the property can be alot cheaper up front, but remember if it's not yours you have to ask before you do almost anything, so a track could be totally out of the question, as could be just running the cars outside.... plus owning the property means once it's paid for in full a bigger chunk goes into your pocket....

-Can I run this buisness in my spare time?

You may be forced to work another job to support yourself and your family until buisness pics up......

-What are the people around here into?

It doesn't make sence to stuck on-road cars and have an on-road track if everyone around there is into monstertrucks.... It used to be alot simpler, if everyone around drove big jacked up trucks and went mudding on the weekend you could easily bet on monster, while if everyone drove hotrods and went cruiseing on the weekends then on-road would probably be betteroff..... Now it's really not that easy, because how your real car is done up seems to be more of a fad than a lifestyle..... However I'd say if there is a big Nascar track nearby you may want to look into on-road and even oval....

-Am I a people person?

Do I like to be around and deal with all types of people??

-Do I like to work on RC cars?

The current RTR status has guaranteed that 95% of the cars bought will not be worked on by their owners, of that 20% will probably never be fixed that means 75% of the RTR's sold need to be worked on by somebody..... Sorry that's you, if you want to keep buisness you'll have to do repairs.....

-Can I keep my cool when a someone comes in asking a billion questions, probably for weeks straight and then comes back in one day with a car and says" look what I got on e-bay/Tower for less"...probably less than you can even get it for at your cost?

Happens everyday......

-What sevices can I provide to beat out Tower/e-bay and other online vendors?

Remember you can't beat their prices even including shipping, a track to run on is a good start, but that only gets and keeps us "pre-internet old guys" loyal. Up your stakes in their pocketbooks.... give away free races, free break-in and other services that on-line vendors can't provide which cost you nothing really..... Then say "well I can't sell the kit for $20 less like XXX internet store can, but you get x# races free witha new car purchase which will save you $100 over the course of the next few months.... This is a very good idea because this gives them the chance to get hooked on racing and they will most likely keep coming back for much longer after the racing starts costing them money....

-Am I open minded enough to listen to racers and customers?

I can't tell you how many times I came up with good ideas that would have helped a new upstart hobbyshop and track out and probably help generate alot of income at little or no cost to them and it just got passed over because it wasn't their idea..... also get out and ask racers on raceday what they like about the track and what they don't, and show some effort to take care of the problems..... If you have one jump that only one racer can land with any sucess you may want to look at reshaping that jump, because only that one guy will be happy with it the track and people talk about what they don't like, possibly discouraging others from coming out to try your track.....

Whatever you do go into it with an "I will suceed" attitude and don't be discouraged... have fun and do your best to be the best you can.....