R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - which truck should i get
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2006, 07:54 AM
Horatio
Tech Elite

LST2, Savage X, Savage 4.6 have a chunky, burly quality about them that appeals to many. Revo is a lighter, lower nimbler machine that certainly makes it more competitive for certain tracks, so appeals to a totally different mindset.

Anything can be raced. It doesn't mean you're going to be a winner. Mach 51 hit the nail on the head. I'd like to add that any machine, in the wrong hands, can be made to lool like a lemon.

I had a couple of really good seasons with my Savage. Out of the box, my Savage SS simply wasn't competitive, so sure I added aftermarket parts. Then it worked very well on the tracks I raced it - just 2-3secs per lap adrift from the quickest 1/8th buggies. With LCG TVP's and a midtank mod, I reckon it would be faster still. I TQ'd numerous times with mine as it was. Fairplay to HPI addressing all the issues that came to light, continually updating existing kits and bringing out numerous new versions, including the X.

As for working on different machines, well older Savages had diffs that were difficult to access. Not so with the X. Having said that, the diffs on mine, once modified, hardly ever required attention anyway. TVP's require a different approach, but basically Savages are modular in design and can be stripped into front, centre and rear sections in a matter of minutes.

MGT's make excellent racing MT's and handle very well. Servo access was tricky on one of my mates machines and the engine wasn't much good.

Tmaxx's handle well when properly set up, but don't have the same degree of punch compared to modern MT's. Reliability issues are my main concerns with Tmaxx's since none of the ones that I worked with were free of glitches.

Revos are very nicely designed and there is no doubt about their competitive potential. The 3.3 is obviously the machine of choice if you're after a Traxxas MT. For the tracks I raced at, Revos needed a fair amount of setting up and different springs/rockers as well as revised gearing to get on the pace. The older 2.5 engine simply wasn't competitive either.

The bad attitudes present here, quite frankly, are beyond a joke. All these same guys ranting continuously over 'all Savage owners are ****' or 'all Traxxas drivers are ****' really need to take a chill-pill and get out more.

You guys need to realise that people could read this kind of crap and think 'Nah, RC is not for me - I think I'll take up fishing instead.'!!!