R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - IFMAR AGM in Collegno - Future of ISTC
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2006, 01:44 PM
vtl1180ny
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bvoltz
One year, so you are correct, I'm not aware of the older mechanical speed controls... I spent 20 plus years in go-carts, got into R/C because with R/C I do not need the support staff at the track... When your sponsor is dropping 100K plus a year, it is not fun, it is business... And racing is not my business, it my hobby.

This is not directed at you, but a general commment.
RC is something I can run off and do, and get away... but reading things like this and Lipo, etc... , I feel like left one hen house (home) for another hen house (RC).... Sure we had sticky points in racing, but debating like this.... NO WAY..... Sure some of the chages in go-carting did not last long, but you had action....

And I'm not a engineer, so sorry for the dumb ass questions. So it helps when someone explains a bit.
It's quite alright, I'm no EE (my wife is) I started life going into ME and then changed my profession altogether. I did work for an electronics firm but I did the mechanical portion of the design. That was also a LONG time ago...

This is a hobby for most, although there are a few here who this is their profession. we've heard the arguement for and against by people who make their money in this hobby. To the rest of us, this is a hobby and hobbies are supposed to be fun. I have been in this hobby a long time and many times this hobby takes a back seat to my other hobby; real cars. I've been involved in real race teams and racing my own cars. I was partially disabled in a car accident and now my only racing is RC's...

We all burn up motors, esc's and batteries, it's a fact of life in this hobby. It still costs me less money than when I've thrown a rod through the bottom of a block....

Sponsorship seems to be here to stay in RC also and it's a shame... Constantly I see the posts from someone asking how they can get sponsored. Is this what we all need to have fun in this hobby, people giving us stuff to go to our LHS and race? How long before we see Domino's or Miller Light across the body of a RC car? (I'm emailing Budwieser, don't even think about beating me to it...)

bvoltz... Welcome to the hobby and remember the goal is to have fun....