R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Dodge Charger TC body
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2006, 10:52 AM
Jon Kerr
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minidriver

These days, RC racing bodies, for the most part, are all virtually look alikes with different nose stickers to make them into one brand or another. Just like NASCAR, where those bodies are no longer Ford, Chevy or Dodges, but NASCAR's with Ford Chevy or Dodge "pictures" on the front end. It wasn't too long ago that they were really "stock" car bodies with really distinct brand bodies. (Those ESPN Classic races come to mind.)

I think the whole "All the bodies look the same" argument can be applied to almost any form of racing. Take Formula 1 racing. To someone who doesn't follow it or doesn't pay attention to the detail, they could say all those cars just look alike. They all are open wheel, big wing in the back, wing on the nose, ram air box over the driver, etc... Yet we know that some cars are FAR superior to others aerodynamically. The teams will make a change that no one will ever notice and can change the whole balance of the car. The same holds true for RC Cars. To someone just looking at the grid, they could say that all the cars look alike. But there could be 5 or 6 different type of bodies out there. Personally, I think we have a wider selection of bodies now, that do look quite different from each other if you don't just glance at them, and give different handling, than we've had since I started racing. I mean PROTOform has 2 or 3 very competitive bodies, Ride has a couple, Yokomo, Parma, Tamiya with the Legacy bodies, etc... 4 years ago if you didn't have an original Stratus on the car you were lost. Then Losi and their Alpha came out and everyone had that on their car. Now you could see anywhere from 3-5 different bodies on the track. Granted, Dales' Mazda 6 dominated the worlds a couple of weeks ago. (Congrats on the by the way Dale ) It just worked in that application better than anything else. But to say they all look the same just isn't fair IMO.

Last edited by Jon Kerr; 07-19-2006 at 11:09 AM.