R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - DSM vs. FM - can you feel 5 milliseconds?
Old 07-17-2006, 05:27 PM
cvt01
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eforer
I was talking about this very same subject (reaction time etc, not dsm) to a friend of mine who is a Neuroscience Phd cadidate. We were talking about the almost physical sensation you get from video racing games.

Basically the above is true in regards to processing new, unknown data. That said, when working with repetitive tasks and familiar things, its a whole new ball game. When we turn in to a corner it is not reaction time. You have turned in to the same corner for X number of laps. Your brain develops connections associated with all the stimuli related to that corner. Thats why you feel locked in and in control once you are comfortable on a track, and somewhat disconnected while you are still learning.

Also, those connections create the almost physical sensations of push, oversteer etc. Once our brains adapt to the course and car, when the car reacts different from the norm based on our inputs, and the car isn't where its supposed to be based on previous experience, our brain lets us know something is funky and we can almost feel the handling condition present. This is true of things like video games also.

So it is entirely possible, that when switching from FM to DSM, tiny, almost inperceptible differences in response could translate in to a palpable difference in the way your car feels. It does not necessarily mean it is slower, worse etc. It is possible that you could feel a difference though.
I think this makes the most sense, the reaction time comes into play only when you have to avoid a crash or when your car breaks traction and you have to regain control with steering. You don't drive like "oh here comes a left turn I have to turn the wheel to left real quick"