R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - IFMAR AGM in Collegno - Future of ISTC
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2006, 09:10 AM
tonyv
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scrubb
Motors will be redesigned for 4 cell use, current full stack armatures don't reach full saturation, you'll start seeing modified armatures just like stock motor armatures; short stacks, slots - less heat disapating material. 36, 45 degrees timing. Those are all legal modifications to modified motors, you think that a short stack, slotted armature 4 turn motor at 40 degrees timing wont run hot on four cells? Put on some brushes that make more power at the expense of wear and gear it to just make runtime. Do you really think you'll be using the same 6 cell based motors and speed controls?

Rick Howart, how about your take on that?
I don't know whether that will result in problems. That is why we need testing before proposing changes to the rules like Rick and others have argued. I personally don't believe it is as simple as just going to 4 cells. Such a change will lead to other changes that need to be made too to get to a consistent set of rules and prevent unwanted side-effects.

But let's turn your argument around. You've indicated multiple things that could be done to increase speed within the current rules. At some point in time someone will do that and our problems will get even bigger. Unless we make rule changes to prevent this. The limiting factor ultimately is whether a change will still help to increase speed. Running 40 degree timing won't help. It will make the motor slower rather than quicker (although other magnets could change that). All it currently does is increase the current draw and thus heat. The point is that right now if you tune for maximum speed the electronics will not be able to handle it. What I, and apparantly others, want is to be able to tune for maximum speed (whatever that is depending on the rules) without frying the speedo, battery and/or motor. Is that an unreasonable goal to set?