R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - IFMAR AGM in Collegno - Future of ISTC
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2006, 04:08 AM
tonyv
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scrubb
I doubt stock and 19 turn touring car class are having reliability or overheating issues, so I doubt having 7.2 volt rated batteries are the problem.
They are. How often do you have to skim the commutator in these classes if you want to be competitive? Stock and 19T are not so hard on the speedo, true, but very hard on the motors themselves. I've seen smoking examples of both Stock and 19T.

Originally Posted by Scrubb
I also doubt that privateer modified class touring car racers are having problems as they know they cannot afford to push their equipment that hard.
They have problems too. Many privateer drivers are just as competitive as the sponsored drivers. Their goal is often to beat the sponsored driver every once in a while and maybe even become a sponsored driver themselves. To get there you need to push to the limit and to find the limit you have to push beyond it at least every once in a while. Having said that, you are right that the top drivers have more problems but don't forget that they also tend to run new stuff a few months before it hits the market. If they have problems now, privateers will potentially have the same problems a couple of months later.

Originally Posted by modeltech
It is therefore somewhat strange that the NITRO drivers who get their motors fuel mix or mixture wrong can melt motors with almost the same frequency, yet I don't hear them blaming the equipment..........
Huh? I hear them all the time about the cost of motors, the need to have several new ones each season to stay competitive etc. etc. I think in this case the discussion started more at local level and in The Netherlands has resulted in a steady decline in the number of racers. It is EXACTLY the same type of discussion that we are having.