R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - futaba S9550 or S9551
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2003, 08:19 AM
InitialD
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Jonathan
OOPPPS..... I meant S9450 and S9451. You are right about the S9550 being lower in profile and weight...But I am not comfortable with its meazsly torque ratings though. Any idea as to why the 9450 cost like 30% more than the 9451 while having similar transit times and less torque??? Thanks
The S9450 servos are older generation. I don't know the reason why they would come out with the newer S9451 servos.

It beats me why they have put the price of the newer S9451 servo lower than the older S9450 servo. Well, just my guess here. Tthey probably cannot justify reducing the price of the S9450 servo because probably at the time it was made, the production and the R&D cost that was involved was much higher. Remember that when the S9450 servo came out, it was one of the first digital servos around. The S9451 servo on the other hand benefitted from the R&D of the S9450 servo. Maybe just an upgraded servo here and there. So there's not much R&D cost involved here. Now with more and more digital servos are manufactured by other companies, Futaba probably realised that they have to find ways to sell their digital servos cheaper and more competitively, moreover since digital servos are a common place. With optimised manufacturing methods and knowhow of making the S9450, they probably could justify a lower cost for the S9451 servo.