R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Chassis Balance
Thread: Chassis Balance
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2006, 08:11 PM
John Stranahan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

The GTB controller and the longer heavier motor tend to cause side to side balance problems. This is what I think.

It's better for a touring car to have good side to side balance even if it has to weight a couple ounces more. There will be less unwanted torque steer (car goes to one side when you apply throttle) that is especially a problem if the track has low traction. It will also steer more the same turning left and right.

On my Losi JRXS, I was able to mount the heavy GTB controller on the side opposite the heavy end of the motor. This eliminated the need for ballast.

The rear of the car can weigh a couple ounces more than the front on the scales for best handling. Some of the weight will transfer forward on corner entry giving you more even tire loading front to back.

I think it is better to run some of the electronics on the top deck if this helps reduce the amount of side to side ballast needed, especially in the lower powered classes. The center of gravity won't change much at all due to the heavy motor and battery.

I have run the GTB controller on the left side, on the left side on the edge (fan aiming left instead of up), on the top deck, and finally on the right side. Handling was very similar, all with equal side to side balance.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 07-11-2006 at 03:05 PM. Reason: added last phrase all with equal side to side balance.