R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Lots of Questions about Foams
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2003, 05:06 PM
Boomer
Tech Elite

Default Re: Lots of Questions about Foams

Originally posted by warlord385
1. Benifits and disadvantages of no ring and multiring foams

Benefits of Foams, in general - grip, grip and more grip. Also consistency.
Disadvantages
- they DO wear faster than rubber. I can go a LONG time on rubber, I wear out foam after about 10 runs or so if I'm conservative.
-they chunk. If you hit something with the edge of the tire, you're gonna lose a chunk of rubber. This can sometimes be repaired (find the chunk you lost and contact cement it back on) but many times it can't. Chunks suck.

The multi-ring foams are usually an attempt to lessen chunking - they stick a harder compound (less likely to chunk) on the very outside edge of the tire. I haven't tried them and don't know how well the idea works.

Experiment with them to find a brand that you like. I've tried about five brands and really like ZAK and TRC. I know guys who swear by Jaco and others who LOVE GRP and others. . .expect to pay anywhere between 14 and 19 bucks a pair (sounds expensive, but consider that you pay that much just for the rubber tires, not to mention the rims and inserts. . .and foams come mounted already!)
2. Why use wider rear tires(I'm thinkin about gettin the 32mm yokomo tires rear, I don't race but i alway get roar legal engines and pipes(may want to race some day) so width of tires doesn't matter.
Generally, once your car is set up really well and really fast, you can have a problem with rear traction - this is an easy way to combat that - put more rubber on the rear and voila, you've got rear traction.

Also, it helps with balancing wear F/R.
3. Also what is inch up on foam tires
Don't know.
4. Is a tire truer neccessary, nice to have, whats a great one for a reasonable price below $250
A tire truer is NOT necessary, but is nice to have. If you're practicing or on a budget, having a LOT of foam on the tire is wonderful. . .more runtime!

If you're racing, however, it is nice to cut down the foams to a slightly smaller size. The larger the sidewall, the more flex it has and, therefore, the more speed the tire will "shed" as you go 'round a turn (also a larger sidewall will grip more). TO A POINT, the smaller the tire, the faster you will be around a turn. . .to a point and as long as your car is set up right.

Hudy is very expensive, but very very good.
Cobra is much less expensive, but still very good
There are others. Check Speedtechrc.com, stormerhobbies.com, etc.
Thanks