R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New Novak Brusless System
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2006, 11:50 PM
STEALTH
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Since the LRP Sphere was brought up... I would like to share my experience with it and LRP. One MAJOR & SERIOUS problem the original Sphere has is that it does NOT come with a Capacitor..... something LRP even mentions it RECOMMENDS on their User Guide!!! To make matters worse, the Capacitor they recommended (part of their "Cooling Set" including a Fan - Part # 82500) was not avavilable for purchase even months after their original Sphere was released!?! At another thread it was mentioned that a Capacitor was not needed for all applications and that most likely it was needed for Touring Car racing.... and not Off-Road. Talk about B.S. - My first and original Sphere didn't last 3 laps in my Original BJ4 on it's first ever run! The settings were fine and I was NOT overgeared which is why I couldn't understand what had happened?! After sending it back to Associated they told me the Fetts blew. I asked how that happened... but unfortunately they could not explain what caused it?! To Associated's credit they replaced the entire ESC and Motor. Kudos to them for that. Problem was they (or LRP actually) still could not supply me with the "needed" Capacitor that LRP recommened because LRP still didn't have them available!? I decided to install my new LRP Sphere and 3* Motor on my Associated T4. It ran perfectly and the throttle was very smooth.... I won races with it but the only problem was that after running about 6-7 minutes during practice it would shutdown?! Again, I asked why at various online threads where reps of LRP often posted. They couldn't give me a clear answer and basically couldn't give me a solution either. Again, I was NOT overgeared. Neither the ESC nor the Motor were very hot after 6-7 minutes so it is unlikely that a thermal shutdown was the problem. Finally maybe two months later some LRP "Cooling Sets" were trickling into the States. I managed to score one from Tower (who had them in very short supply at the time) and installed the Cap to my ESC. Low and behold problem solved!!!!!

Now tell me... After spending about $260 for the Sphere and Neo-One combo... how much fun would it be to later learn (on your own after a lot of trial and error) that you got to spend another $20 for a NEEDED "Cooling Set" just to run your brand new ESC and Motor properly and as "Recommended" by the manufacturer?!? Couldn't they at the very least release the "Cooling Set" at the same time the ESC and Motor were released to the public since again they themselves RECOMMEND it?! Here is a better idea... how about including the Capacitor and the Fan with the ESC to help avoid potential problems?! If Novak could end up doing it why couldn't LRP?! In the end I guess LRP did learn something when they decided to release the "Sphere Competition" with it's own Capacitor!

I own 4 Novak GTBs and now One Sphere. Never had a problem with any of the Novak GTBs. Customer Service wise NOVAK is also 2nd to none. Charlie is simply AWESOME! I am sure you can figure out which Brushless System I would strongly recommend!