R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/10 Sedan Quick Release wheels
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2006, 12:35 PM
Solara
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

It is definitely NOT something no one thought about....I did something similar on the Serpent Impulse/705 a while back by using Serpent Impact/835 front/rear wheel hub and quick release lock set (rear need a lot of fitting and cutting)onto the Impulse at all 4 corners and use all 4 Impact/835 front tires.....yeah, it was NICE to see it works, but there are negatives about that too (more then positive).

(1) New rims and new tires design, cost is definitely more then current TC tires, go compare a set of 835 type front tire to a pair for TC front tires, almost 50% more..

(2) 30mm width is very close to the absolute minimum to work with....with TC front tire 26mm rule...very HARD to get enough "meat" to mount the quick release....

(3) Quick release is only good when you need to 'Quick release" for fast tire change......and how offen you have to do that..? I have never need to change tires on my 1/8th...I don't know why it need to be done on 1/10th TC....afterall, tire wear calculation is part of the race strategy....

(4) Quick release rim is not always PERFECT after a long run, it can be easy to pull out, but sometime, I have difficult time to mount and LOCK the new tire back in....don't know why, not all rims are create equal I think.

(5) Last...happened to me many many times on 235mm and 1/8th....after some impact to the rim, the edge around where the quick release lock that LOCK the wheel might be damage....once it damage, the lock devise will no longer be able to grab the rim perfect....few laps later, you will see your rims just fly out.....happened to me at least 5 times.

My 235mm/1/8th....I removed the whole FRONT quick release and installed the optional torque screw permenent locked cap/screws set....the rear seems OK with the quick release.