R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Why are so many leaving the hobby?
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2006, 09:26 AM
tc3team
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RandomTask
Thats a lot to ask from someone. I understand its a hobby but regardless a good hobby should have some retention characteristic. I mean sure some times your busy and cant keep up, but a good hobby should be one that you go back to when you have time. A good hobby is one which you would want to save up for and invest in. A good hobby is one which can help you relax from your every day stressful life. People are leaving this hobby flat out without looking back.

A good question to ask is why are the people not coming back.

There are also other factors to this. I mean there are other forms of entertainment/hobbies that are competing with with the RC hobby. One source of competition is computer gaming, the majority of players are in the 18-30's demographic. They probably dont have alot of time or money, yet they manage to game on. Why is it that the video game industry is booming while the rc industry is stagnant. Cost cannot be a great factor since people are laying down hundreds of dollars for games and consoles. Time is neither a factor too.

The bottom line is why dont people have the mentality to persist with the RC hobby? Why value (not monetary) does this hobby bring to them as opposed to other hobbies?

So to sum up my view
-cost and time is not an inhibiting factor
-people are leaving the hobby because hobby doesnt have retainning value
-there are other hobbies competiting for the same market share

My 2 cent
I totally agree,it is a lot to ask from someone. I think some people dont realise the time needed to race and maintain a car,more so for serious racing.

Everyone wants to be winning races and to do well at any hobby you need practice.

But cost and time are a factor if you want to do well.

For a very crude example on the time issue,Micheal Shumacher,Ayrton Senna etc didnt win races as soon as they sat in a car. They had to practice and learn like the rest.

As for cost,you're right- rc racing is pretty expensive when you add up the cost of everything,compared to something like tennis or cricket for example.