R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Why are so many leaving the hobby?
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2006, 01:10 PM
ddesros2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billjacobs
I've read a lot of the posts and have come to the following conclusion:

1) drivers from 10-15 quit because their parents won't sponsor them anymore, or they want to win now, now, now, and don't.
2) drivers from 16-24 quit because of girls (this hobby is 99% guys), school, sports, and they can't afford it (at this age, they are usually paying for their own stuff, no more team mom and dad)
3) drivers from 25-40 quit because of time constraints including babies, jobs, family, etc
4) drivers from 40 and up quit because they simply get tired of it. These are usually drivers who have been doing it for a long time. They might also quit because they used the hobby as time with their buddies. As their buddies quit, they quit.

All of these reasons come down to time, competition, and money, your time and your or someone else's money.
Yep, I agree. This sums it up.

I fall into category #3. Before my kid came along I never thought I would give up RC racing. Now with a baby in the house, going RC racing is not possible. I may get back into it, or not, who knows.

Many people come and go in this hobby, it's been that way forever and will remain so. We now have forums like this one where we see people selling and bitching about RC, so it seems like more people are leaving. That's all.